Cleansing your liver is truly one of the keys to staying youthful into your old age. When your body is detoxified, your cells can maintain all the functions in the body they must perform.
When you think about it, it’s pretty amazing how your cells can literally keep working for 90, 100 or even 110 years. All you have to do is give them what they need (nutrients) and keep the toxins out of the cells.
You’ve probably already heard about the concept of cleansing your liver. Here are some basic facts, just for a few quick reminders:
- If you’re constipated, it makes no sense to start cleansing your liver. Your liver is an internal organ with no route to the outside. Thus, if your colon is clogged, a backup of the toxins will occur. Trying to cleanse the liver at this time will only create detox symptoms such as headaches, skin bumps and acne, fatigue, muscle aches and pains, and the feeling that you aren’t well.
- Drink more water when you are cleansing any organ. Ultimately, you want one ounce of water for every pound of body weight when you are seriously detoxifying your body. However, drinking one ounce of water for every two pounds of body weight is acceptable.
- You can continue your vitamin and mineral routine while you are cleansing your liver.
- Cleanse your liver for six weeks, six days a week and one day off. This gives your body the idea that it must detoxify itself without your help on the seventh day.
Now let’s examine 10 different ways you can detoxify your liver.
1. Drink a cup of milk thistle tea twice daily. Use 1 teaspoon of the herb in 1 cup of boiling water.
2. Drink a cup of chanca piedra (Phyllanthus niruri) tea twice daily. Make a decoction of this tea with 2 tablespoons of the herb added to 2 quarts of distilled water in a pot. Cover the pot, and simmer on very low heat. Allow the tea to reduce to 1 quart or half the initial volume. Then drink one cup, twice daily.
3. Sit in an infrared sauna for 25 to 35 minutes daily for 30 days. This will force toxins and heavy metals out through your skin, which then allows your liver to detoxify itself better.
4. Change the water you drink to distilled water, including in your cooking. Distilled water is devoid of minerals. Minerals need to be detoxified by the kidneys, and drinking distilled water saves your body a step of detoxification. Meanwhile, it’s pulling toxins to itself, which takes the strain off the liver. Thus, the liver can then do a better job.
5. Use an herbal liver cleanse formula. Follow the instructions on the label, and continue it for six full weeks.
6. Eat organic fruits and vegetables. You might think that this is too expensive to do, but there is a trick to it if you can’t go 100 percent organic. Visit the Environmental Working Group website at EWG.org and search for the Dirty Dozen. This is a list of 12 of the fruits and vegetables with the most pesticides and chemicals. These 12 must be organic in your diet.
Next, look up the Clean Fifteen list. This is a list of 15 different fruits and vegetables that are pretty clean of pesticides and chemicals. Purchase these in their non-organic form if you can’t afford the organic versions.
The reason why these help your liver cleanse itself is because fruits and vegetables contain hundreds of phytonutrients that do all the liver cleansing work for you. It’s an automatic process.
In fact, in one study, children who were found to have high levels of pesticides in their blood were given organic fruits and vegetables for three days. When re-tested, the pesticides were no longer found in their blood.
7. Begin juicing. Most vegetable and fruit juices will begin an automatic detoxification of the entire body, including the liver. Your goal is 10 ounces, minimum, per day.
8. Eliminate all high fructose beverages from your diet. The high fructose overwhelms the liver and then contributes to the creation of fatty liver. But if you eliminate them all, your liver starts detoxifying and repairing itself.
9. Make vegetable juice. Try carrot-apple-beet juice (4 carrots, 1 apple, ½ beet). Sip slowly over a few hours.
10. Eat salads made of the cruciferous vegetables. These veggies – cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts – are specific in how they act in the body and go straight for the liver to aid its detoxification. Three times a week is enough for this method.
You can do several of the “lesser methods” on the list simultaneously and not have to worry about overwhelming your liver. Or you can do the most effective liver cleanse, which is an herbal formula specifically designed to cleanse your liver.
Here are a couple of examples of what you could do daily to continually cleanse your liver:
Method 1: Fresh juice, 10 ounces + distilled water + milk thistle/chanca piedra tea
Method 2: Infrared sauna, carrot-apple-beet juice (8 ounces), organic veggies and fruits, salad of cruciferous veggies three times a week
Do a liver cleanse bout three times a year for best results. You will see a big difference in how you look, act, smell and feel!