Menstrual cramps, also known as period pains, are painful sensations felt in the lower abdomen that can occur both before and during a woman’s menstrual period. The pain ranges from dull and annoying to severe and extreme. For many women the pain can be very severe.
To help you get through the monthly visit, here are some home remedies that ease menstrual cramps.
- Drink lemon water every morning. This will have alkalizing effect on the body and keep the body hydrated and mineralized
- Include vitamin D3 in your diet. Especially if you live in a colder climate.
- Increase consumption of leafy greens to ensure enough B Vitamins, fibers and mineral supply in the body.
- Eat fatty fish, fish or flax oil every day to get relief from hormonal imbalances.
- My most favorite remedy to get relief from cramps is an ayurvedic home remedy using cinnamon and ginger to make tea.
- Vitex or chaste berry is a herb that eases menstrual cramps.
- Evening primrose oil or borage oil are rich in anti-inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids and are known to reduce breast pain and tenderness as well as PMS symptoms.
- Dietary intake of calcium and magnesium is crucial for balancing hormones.
- Using heating pads or hot water bags around the area relaxes the stiff muscles and reduces pain by bringing oxygen in the area.
- One of the most important things to address is relaxation through 7-8 hours of sound sleep and stress reduction. Meditation and breathing exercise also assist in reducing stress.
- If you eat a lot of nuts, seeds, and grains then increase aerobics exercise. Aerobic exercises release endorphin hormones of feel good hormones in the body. The presence of this hormone work likes natural pain killer
- Apply natural progesterone cream or wild yam cream. Apply this cream on the stomach, lower abdominal area.
If you suffer from severe menstrual cramps you should discuss the problem with your healthcare provider.